Date: 28th January 2017 at 5:02pm
Written by: Vital York City

Striker Jon Parkin was sent-off in stoppage-time but York City claimed themselves another valuable point in a scoreless draw with home specialists Aldershot Town at The Recreation Ground.

Recalled forward Vadaine Oliver went closest to grabbing a winner when heading against an upright during the second-half.

The Minstermen remain bottom of the table but at least closed the gap on Southport, North Ferriby United and next league opponents Maidstone United, who were all defeated.

Manager Gary Mills earlier made one enforced change from the side that dramatically overcame Barrow last week. Defender Shaun Rooney was ruled out with an ankle injury and replaced by back-in-favour striker Oliver, making his first start of the season. Aidan Connolly also returned on the bench.

Parkin turned an immediate first-minute corner delivered by Simon Lappin towards goalkeeper Jake Cole, who then denied Oliver’s close-range volley from Lappin’s free-kick.

Highly-rated teenager Idris Kanu supplied a dangerous ball across goal in reply, but the impressive Oliver soon forced Cole into another sharp reflex save as the visitors continued well.

However, Kyle Letheren next blocked from Shamir Fenelon and Bernard Mensah rapidly hoisted over with the play-off chasing hosts finally beginning to settle; although Oliver headed over after Cole could only parry Simon Heslop’s firm drive.

York stalwart Daniel Parslow was soon covering well following a sudden break and Fenelon struck beyond the far post, while Sean Newton drove narrowly wide.

Cheye Alexander became the first player cautioned for dragging down Alex Whittle on the edge of the area – and Parkin’s overhead was too high from the resultant free-kick.

Aldershot had the ball in the net early in the second-half but goalkeeper Letheren was clearly fouled. Lappin’s replying free-kick was punched away by Cole and Parkin also converted Newton’s pass – but had unfortunately strayed offside.

Kundai Benyu was booked for clattering into Whittle – and his side should really have taken the lead when Yan Klukowski was dispossessed by Fenelon and Jake Gallagher wastefully lifted over.

But York were only denied by the woodwork when Oliver headed Heslop’s cross against an upright, that after Parkin’s volley had already been comfortably gathered by Cole. Ex-City winger Anthony Straker flashed a subsequent effort wide.

Parkin then took the wrong option after stealing possession from Will Evans but his early 25-yard shot was tame. He soon became the first City player cautioned.

Oliver next rescued possession and surged forward before blazing over, and Heslop was also wide of the mark as the deadlock remained, despite a couple of always enterprising sides.

However, Kanu headed behind at the other end and Oliver crashed a late opportunity wide from Lappin’s through ball; Whittle also drilled across goal before home substitute Jim Kellerman struck directly at Letheren.

Burly striker Parkin was then dismissed for a second yellow card in added time – but it’s a fourth game without defeat for the visitors.

Aldershot Town: Cole, Alexander, Evans, Benyu, Straker, Reynolds, Gallagher, Fenelon (Kellerman 84), Rendell, Mensah, Kanu

subs (unused): McClure, Giles, Buckley, Smith

York City: Letheren, Bencherif, Klukowski, Parslow, Heslop, Lappin, Newton, Whittle, Oliver, Parkin, Morgan-Smith

subs (unused): Connolly, Fenwick, Moke, ter Horst, Holmes

Ref: C. Brook

Att: 2,230 (230 York)