Date: 18th February 2017 at 5:02pm
Written by: Vital York City

York City remain deep in relegation trouble following a second 1-1 draw of the season with Boreham Wood – this time at Meadow Park.

The visitors once again made a fast start with Amari Morgan-Smith’s fourth goal in six games earning them an early advantage. But it was cancelled out by Morgan Ferrier following defensive uncertainty before the break.

The Minstermen had made two changes after converted defender Yan Klukowski [calf] failed a pre-match fitness test. Experienced midfielder Simon Lappin [Achilles] was already ruled out for the remainder of the season.

That pair were replaced by Lanre Oyebanjo and Adriano Moke, while Aidan Connolly returned amongst substitutes that also included reserve goalkeeper Luke Simpson.

City’s inspirational midfielder Sean Newton lifted over early on from Parkin’s assist before the big striker returned a pass for Morgan-Smith to open the scoring from close-range after just seven minutes.

Skipper Simon Helsop then struck another opportunity wide after receiving from the goalscorer; but the visitors’ early advantage was cancelled out when Anthony Jeffrey’s cross was flapped at by Kyle Letheren and Ferrier turned in his eleventh goal of the campaign.

York midfielder Newton responded with a fierce 25-yard effort flashing wide and Vadaine Oliver could only fire into the side-netting. Hamza Bencherif then received the first caution of the afternoon for his challenge on the lively Ferrier, who was soon offering a dangerous ball across the face of goal.

Newton also had another firm attempt saved by Grant Smith in first-half added time – and returning midfielder Moke suddenly required treatment following a challenge from ex-York defender Femi Ilesanmi.

The Minstermen were desperately unlucky straight after the restart when Newton’s long throw was helped on by Oliver and Parkin, on the turn, smashed against the underside of the crossbar before Morgan-Smith hooked the rebound over.

Angelo Balanta was soon calling Letheren into action after Oyebanjo had already covered Moke’s mistake before Parkin struck wide from Newton’s corner.

Balanta then had a deflected strike towards the former Welsh Under-21 international keeper and Parkin’s speculative reply was absolutely nowhere.

However, Boreham Wood were now in the ascendancy with Jeffrey next clearing the target; although Oliver’s overhead kick was superbly turned over by keeper Smith. Bencherif also headed Heslop’s cross wide and Danny Holmes replaced Parkin.

The busy Jeffrey then cut inside for the hosts and drilled against the near post before Shaun Rooney took over from Moke with just over ten minutes remaining.

Heslop next had an effort charged down and Balanta headed over Bruno Andrade’s cross towards the other end, while the marauding Rooney produced a storming solo run in added time – but yet again couldn’t find the required finish.

Boreham Wood: Smith, Devera, Ilesanmi, Andrade, Ricketts, Paine, Reason (Shakes 60), Jeffrey, Balanta, Ferrier, Hitchcock

subs (unused): Nunn, Goodliffe, Uchechi, Sach

Goals: Ferrier (28)

York City: Letheren, Oyebanjo, Bencherif, Parslow, Whittle, Heslop, Moke (Rooney 76), Newton, Oliver (Fenwick 90), Parkin (Holmes 73), Morgan-Smith

subs (unused): Connolly, Simpson

Goals: Morgan-Smith (7)

Ref: A. Bromley

Att: 656 (320 York)