Date: 8th April 2017 at 5:07pm
Written by: Vital York City

York City moved out of the relegation zone for the first time since November with a 2-0 victory against Chester at the Lookers Vauxhall Stadium.

Striker Vadaine Oliver was declared as available after passing a fitness test on a back injury, and earned them an interval advantage following good work from Amari-Morgan Smith.

Both Jon Parkin and Morgan-Smith were also denied by the woodwork before the recalled Danny Holmes struck a decisive second with fifteen minutes remaining.

Meanwhile, late goals elsewhere going against relegation rivals Braintree Town, Woking and Torquay United – who were all ahead at the break – allowed the visitors to move up three places to nineteenth in the table.

Home midfielder Elliott Durrell was wide with an early effort following a lusty challenge from Holmes. The former Wrexham midfielder soon had another shot deflected behind for a corner after Parkin was comfortably wayward.

On loan Morgan-Smith next struck wide for the visitors from the edge of the area and Holmes also volleyed at Alex Lynch after skipper Simon Helsop was initially blocked.

Durrell’s replying free-kick was next headed wide by Sam Hughes, but it was their opponents suddenly going in front when Oliver collected Morgan-Smith’s through pass and kept his composure to go around the keeper.

Goalscorer Oliver then headed Sean Newton’s free-kick towards Lynch, and Durrell was sent clear in the other direction and thwarted by Scott Loach. Youngster Matty Waters also dragged wide for the hosts.

But York almost doubled their lead when Parkin’s terrific shot on the volley from distance came back off the inside of an upright, while Morgan-Smith broke onto a defensive mistake but finished too close to the advancing Lynch.

Morgan-Smith also volleyed at the keeper following Oliver helping on Holmes’ throw straight after the restart. Lucas Dawson replied wide of the mark.

The Minstermen then produced a superb move that ended with Parkin allowing Morgan-Smith to curl past the keeper but again onto an upright.

Chester also had an opportunity which Holmes vitally covered to thwart Johnny Hunt, while Dawson’s deflected effort was taken by Loach. Asa Hall replied too high at the other end.

However, York extended their lead when Newton’s 75th minute free-kick was headed down by Oliver and half-volleyed in by Holmes.

The visitors remained in charge of proceedings and Morgan-Smith saw a later effort parried by Lynch following a break down the left by Alex Whittle.

Chester: Lynch, Hughes, Hudson (George 64), Astles, Hunt (Vassell 64), Durrell, Shaw, Lloyd, Dawson (Richards 64), Waters, Alabi

subs (unused): Roberts, Joyce

York City: Loach, Parslow, Bencherif, Newton, Holmes, Heslop, Hall, Whittle, Morgan-Smith (Moke 90), Parkin, Oliver

subs (unused):Muggleton, Fenwick, Rooney, Connolly

Goals: Oliver (25), Holmes (75)

Ref: D. Rock

Att: 2,235 (501 York)