Date: 2nd September 2017 at 4:54pm
Written by: Vital York City

York City produced a truly shocking performance that witnessed them crashing to a second consecutive defeat against lowly Chorley at Victory Park.

Home striker Josh Wilson claimed a first-half brace for a struggling outfit that had previously scored just three times in their opening seven games.

The Minstermen made a couple of changes from their shock home reversal to FC United of Manchester on Bank Holiday Monday, with Connor Smith and Michael Rankine replacing Aidan Connolly and Kaine Felix. Youth team player Aaron Haswell was included amongst the substitutes for the first time.

Newcomer Nick Haughton immediately dragged a twenty-yard effort wide for last season’s defeated play-off finalists before Marcus Carver’s shot was easily taken by Jon Worsnop.

Adam Blakeman was also comfortably high while Amari Morgan-Smith had a couple of openings in the opposite direction but was unable to properly control the ball.

However, decent work from Morgan-Smith then earned the visitors a corner before Sean Newton’s cross was headed wide of the far post by Jon Parkin.

But Chorley went in front on twenty minutes when Wilson took advantage of Carver’s squared pass from a misplaced back-pass by Hamza Bencherif.

York-born midfielder Simon Heslop’s reply from around twenty-yards was collected by keeper Matt Urwin, who soon rescued Parkin’s header on the line from Morgan-Smith’s corner.

Morgan-Smith next headed another Newton corner towards Urwin – and Parkin was also too high with a volley, while Haughton dragged his reply wide.

The Magpies still doubled their advantage when more non-existent defending on 37 minutes allowed Wilson to add his second from Blakeman’s pass with a shot into the bottom corner.

Haughton was seeking further reward as Worsnop comfortably saved before the Fleetwood Town loanee once again found himself completely unattended as he struck narrowly wide in first-half added time.

Defender Jassem Sukar replaced Alex Whittle at the break in a revised formation, although it was Josh Law clearing the target from a free-kick after Matt Challoner was cautioned for his challenge on Newton.

York made a second change as Felix succeeded Rankine but Worsnop suddenly turned aside from Josh O’Keefe following more woeful defending at a corner.

Former City striker Jason Walker was introduced for two-goal Wilson on the hour before Carver hoisted over from the edge of the area.

Sam Muggleton was the visitors’ final change for Simon Heslop midway through the second period – and soon delivered a long throw for Bencherif to head wide.

Ex-City Wembley favourite Walker next tried to catch Worsnop off his line and both O’Keefe and Andy Teague wastefully passed up opportunities to extend the advantage.

Home keeper Unwin then blocked Parkin’s header from Muggleton’s corner towards the other end before opposite number Worsnop only just snatched ahead of Walker.

Chorley: Urwin, Challoner, Blakeman, Teague, Leather, Jordan, Haughton (Whitham 65), O’Keefe, Carver (Hughes 78), Wilson (Walker 61), Cottrell

subs (unused): Jarvis, Kearney

Goals: Wilson (20, 37)

York City: Worsnop, Law, Parslow, Bencherif, Whittle (Sukar 46), Smith, Heslop (Muggleton 67), Newton, Parkin, Morgan-Smith, Rankine (Felix 55)

subs (unused): Wharton, Haswell

Ref: B. Lamb

Att: 1,294

Weekend Results: AFC Telford 2-3 Blyth; Chorley 2-0 York City; Curzon Ashton 1-1 Salford; FC United of Manchester 1-2 Leamington; Harrogate 1-1 Brackley; Kidderminster 1-1 Boston; North Ferriby 0-0 Tamworth; Nuneaton 2-2 Alfreton; Southport 2-0 Darlington; Spennymoor 1-1 Gainsborough; Stockport 0-0 Bradford PA