Date: 28th February 2017 at 9:46pm
Written by: Vital York City

York City fought hard for a 1-1 draw at leaders Lincoln City but continue to lose serious ground at the bottom of the table after all of their relegation rivals won.

Jon Parkin scored for the second consecutive game to earn the visitors an early lead, only for it to be cancelled out by Alan Power with fourteen minutes remaining.

There was just a single-change from the weekend with midfielder Adriano Moke returning for centre-back Yan Klukowski, who was struggling with a calf injury. Former Lincoln defender Sean Newton moved back to cover in his absence.

Newcomer Asa Hall lifted over an early attempt for the visitors from outside the area. But it was his superb cross-field delivery on fourteen minutes that released skipper Simon Heslop and his low cross was slotted into the bottom corner by Parkin.

Moments later another decent move witnessed Moke’s fifteen-yard effort denied by Paul Farman after Parkin laid the ball off. Billy Knott was too close to Kyle Letheren from a partially cleared corner towards the other end.

Both Parkin and Hall tried speculative drives either side of that while Alan Power drove straight at Letheren when Moke surrendered possession.

Home keeper Farman then required attention following a collision with the cautioned Parkin. His York counterpart Letheren soon turned away from Nathan Arnold.

Vadaine Oliver also picked up a booking for his challenge on Sean Raggett, who next glanced a free-kick towards Letheren. Former Lincoln defender Hamza Bencherif replied by heading at Farman from Hall’s injury-time free-kick.

The visitors were forced into a substitution at the interval with ex-Imps striker Oliver being replaced by Scott Fenwick after a dead-leg.

Lincoln themselves made a double-change at the start of the second period and Josh Ginnelly immediately struck wide before also wastefully hoisting over.

On loan Burnley winger Ginnelly once more went close when coming inside and forcing Letheren to turn over. The Welshman also denied substitute Joel Ward after a decent run while Parkin’s long-range reply nearly caught out Farman.

Alex Whittle’s shot towards the other end was fended aside by Farman and Hall drove well over from the corner. But it was Lincoln equalising when Matt Read headed down Ginnelly’s cross on 76 minutes for Power to finish from six-yards at the far post.

Substitute Fenwick was booked for a late challenge and Letheren saved low from goalscorer Power, while Ginnelly was comfortably off-target during the closing stages.

Lincoln City: Farman, Long (Wood 15), Waterfall, Raggett (Howe 46), Habergham, Arnold, Woodyard, Power, Knott (Ward 46), Ginnelly, Rhead

subs (unused): Whitehouse, Marriott

Goals: Power (76)

York City: Letheren, Parslow, Bencherif, Newton, Heslop, Moke, Hall, Whittle, Oliver (Fenwick 46), Parkin, Morgan-Smith

subs (unused): Rooney, Nti, Connolly, Simpson

Goals: Parkin (14)

Ref: K. Evans

Att: 6,892 (196 York)