Date: 6th May 2018 at 6:43pm
Written by:

York City Futsal still require another point to be absolutely safe from relegation after a 6-0 defeat to an always efficient Cambridge United at the YorkSport Arena.

The hosts were noticeably once again without leading goalscorer Daniel Pedras, while fellow key attackers Robbie and Jamie Bettson were similarly absent from a clearly weakened squad.

Home keeper Vlad de Paula was forced into early action, but then found himself dispossessed while trying to dribble out and the visitors easily found the unguarded net.

Michael Bulmer struck high at the other end, while Tom Blackburn saw an effort blocked before the next attack  witnessed the ball agonisingly rolled wide of the far post.

York were at least showing better control following an uncertain start, until keeper de Paula was required to parry  another shot. His U’s counterpart also fended away England Under-19 international Bulmer’s rising drive.

Blackburn next fired just wide with de Paula pushed up as a fly keeper, although the Brazilian was suddenly caught out as the visitors broke away for a second goal.

Photo: Ian Parker

York skipper Fabinho Almeida was shown a straight red card in the second-half

And Cambridge were to add another when a free-kick was laid-off and despatched into the net; that ahead of a scramble on the opposite goal-line somehow failing to produce an immediate City reply.

The U’s keeper made a couple more decent stops before the interval was reached with his side comfortably ahead, without really having to work too hard for their goals.

Home skipper Fabinho Almeida was introduced for the start of the second-half and soon found himself charged down following an interception.

Blackburn was next denied on the line after a sharp turn and Almeida also struck over from distance.

To their credit York were producing some nice moves without any tangible reward, and Bulmer’s firm attempt was confidently thwarted by the keeper.

City custodian de Paula then blocked a cross-shot reply before slicing wide of the near post having once again advanced up the court; although the hosts were caught out again by that tactic as a sudden interception produced a long-range finish into his  vacated net.

And worse was to follow when Almeida was brandished an instant red card for a calculated trip after his colleagues  had yet again surrendered possession. De Paula was also dismissed for a second yellow at the same time, leaving the York temporarily down to just three players.

Unsurprisingly their rivals soon walked in a fifth goal, which at least allowed their opponents to increase their quota back up to four.

Blackburn later had a powerful free-kick claimed by the keeper, although the U’s then collected a sixth goal after City’s replacement net-minder Martin Michels twice saved well.

Matt Overton [twice] and Bulmer were later frustrated – and Liam Dutton also curled wide as the visitors continued to protect their clean-sheet on their way to a job well done.

Photos by kind permission of Ian Parker