Date: 20th September 2014 at 5:08pm
Written by: Vital York

Skipper Russell Penn’s first goal for York City proved in vain as Southend United earned a 3-2 victory at Bootham Crescent.

Penn cancelled out Myles Weston’s ninth-minute penalty right on the stroke of half-time but Kevan Hurst and Jack Payne replied after the break. Dave Winfield offered late hope for the hosts with five minutes remaining but it wasn’t enough.

Manager Nigel Worthington earlier made a couple of changes with Winfield and Jake Hyde being recalled for John McCombe and Tom Platt.

However, Hurst saw an early effort deflected wide as the visitors began their chase for a third successive victory.

And they went in front moments later when Payne was fouled inside the area by Winfield and Weston struck his penalty into the corner.

Wes Fletcher headed a Luke Summerfield cross against the face of goal in reply, but it was the Shrimpers still enjoying the brighter start with Conor Clifford and Gary Degan both wide.

Hyde had a shot saved when receiving from Lindon Meikle at the other end before Fletcher was bundled down and Michael Coulson’s free-kick deflected behind.

Recalled striker Hyde collected the first caution of the game after Payne’s shot had dribbled harmlessly through to Michael Ingham, while Winfield headed over a Summerfield corner. Fletcher then struck straight at Daniel Bentley and goalscorer Weston repeated the act at the opposite end.

Coulson had another effort diverted behind following a booking for Deegan and Summerfield was similarly denied from a short corner.

York equalised in first-half added time with Penn’s diving header marking his first goal for the club after Hyde hooked back another Summerfield corner.

Despite that reply it was the visitors starting the second-half well and Shaquile Coulthirst headed John White’s cross wide before Ingham disastrously dropped Payne’s low cross and Hirst reclaimed their lead.

Moments later Jerome Binnom-Williams called Ingham into action at his near post while Penn’s sliced clearance drifted behind his own goal and Coulthirst was wide from the corner.

Adam Thompson picked up a yellow card for dragging back Hyde before the home side made a double-change with Platt and former Southend winger Anthony Straker replacing Summerfield and Meikle.

Coulson soon flashed a decent right-footed drive narrowly over from Hyde’s assist before Winfield twice blocked at the other end.

But York always appeared vulnerable on the counter and Payne slotted in a third goal for the visitors from substitute David Worrall’s cross with twelve minutes remaining.

Southend goalkeeper Bentley soon denied both Coulson and Winfield as the visitors responded before the big defender headed in Marvin McCoy’s 85th minute cross at the far post.

However, York’s determined late rally wasn’t enough as their opponents managed to hold out for the remainder of the game.

York City: Ingham, McCoy, Lowe, Winfield, Ilesanmi, Meikle (Straker 64), Penn, Summerfield (Platt 64), Coulson, Hyde (Jarvis 79), Fletcher

subs (unused): Mooney, McCombe, Montrose, Hirst

Goals: Penn (45), Winfield (85)

Southend United: Bentley, White, Thompson, Williams, Prosser, Deegan, Payne (Ibenfeldt 86), Hurst, Clifford (Atkinson 76), Coulthirst (Worrall 65), Weston

subs (unused): Barnard, Corr, Smith, Williams

Goals: Weston (pen 9), Hurst (52), Payne (78)

Ref: P. Tierney (Lancashire)

Att: 3,307 (365 Southend)

You can now use your social login to comment on our front page articles using your Facebook, Twitter, Google or LinkedIn accounts!


Join The Vital Debate