Date: 7th December 2016 at 4:55pm
Written by:

Former winners York City make an FA Trophy return this weekend, exactly five years to the day since launching their famous cup winning campaign of season 2011-12.

Former winners York City make an FA Trophy return this weekend, exactly five years to the day since launching their famous cup winning campaign of season 2011-12.

Jon Challinor scored a disputed injury-time equaliser to rescue York City from an embarrassing home defeat by Blue Square North strugglers Solihull Moors in the FA Trophy first round at Bootham Crescent.

Solihull took a shock lead after only three minutes through Jordan Fitzpatrick but Matty Blair quickly equalised with his fourth goal of the season. Richard Walker regained the away advantage before the break and York appeared to be heading out of the competition until the late drama.

The visitors made a dream start in what had been billed as the biggest game in their short history when former Derby County striker Lee Morris’ cross on three minutes was easily turned in at point-blank range by Fitzpatrick.

But York were soon back level as Danny Pilkington delivered to the far post and Blair comfortably headed in. Pilkington should then have given his side the lead midway through the opening period when escaping through the middle and scuffing wide as goalkeeper Jasbir Singh raced out. Two minutes later Singh produced a great save to deny Jamal Fyfield’s shot following a cross by James Meredith.

However, Moors should certainly have been back in front just after the half-hour but ex-Aston Villa striker Walker headed over from six-yards. York didn’t appear to take that threat too seriously, though, and Walker was allowed to turn on the edge of the area just before the break and drive in off the inside of a post.

The Minstermen applied early pressure attacking towards their favoured home end at the start of the second-half. But it was their opponents nearly extending their lead on 65 minutes when Junior English struck the inside of the right-hand post.

York continued to be frustrated while failing to create genuine opportunities and Gavin Hurren’s free-kick was steered wide by Walker with the home defence again opening generously.

But the hosts were denied a clear penalty when Blair’s shot was handled on the line as the contest moved towards its final ten minutes. Defender Daniel Parslow was soon brought off the bench and introduced into the attack, while keeper Ingham was sent forward to flick on a late corner from which David McGurk’s header was deflected over the bar.

However, substitute Adriano Moke launched a searching ball forward deep into added time after the subsequent corner was only partially cleared, which was spilled by keeper Singh under challenge from Challinor, who gratefully helped it in despite claims of offside.

The two sides replayed at Damson Park the following Tuesday evening, with York prevailing 3-0 courtesy of goals from recalled skipper Chris Smith and Blair (2).

York City: Ingham, Challinor, McGurk, Fyfield, Meredith (Parslow 81), Kerr, Boucaud (Ashikodi 39), McLaughlin, Blair, Walker, Pilkington (Moke 64)

subs (unused): Smith, Potts

Goals: Blair (6), Challinor (90)

Solihull Moors: Singh, Midworth, Spencer, Pierpoint, Langdon (Melligan 14, Francis 87), English, Fitzpatrick, Hurren, Blackwood, Morris, Walker (Johnson 87)

subs (unused): Broadhurst, Millar

Goals: Fitzpatrick (3), Walker (41)

Ref: A. Backhouse

Att: 1,116 (36 Solihull)

Video Link: YorkCityTV