Date: 6th September 2017 at 3:41pm
Written by:

Spinning back to a dramatic conclusion to the most recent meeting with weekend opponents Stockport County at Bootham Crescent in February 2012.

Spinning back to a dramatic conclusion to the most recent meeting with weekend opponents Stockport County at Bootham Crescent in February 2012.

York City scraped a fortuitous late 2-1 victory against Stockport after substitutes Jamie Reed and Matthew Blinkhorn were both on target during the final six minutes.

The Hatters took a shock lead early in the second-half when on loan striker Danny Rowe scored his fifth goal in five games.

Twice the hosts struck the woodwork in reply before Reed lashed home an 84th minute equaliser following Jon Challinor’s long throw.

Then deep into injury-time, Reed hooked back a Patrick McLaughlin corner and Blinkhorn headed a vital winner from close-range.

Manager Gary Mills earlier handed a debut to on loan Middlesbrough defender Ben Gibson after regular left-back James Meredith was ruled out by injury. Scott Brown and Ashley Chambers were also recalled at the expense of recent arrivals Erik Tonne and Ben Swallow.

But his side proceeded to struggle for any proper tempo against limited opposition, who also had to suffer the loss of both their skipper and his subsequent deputy through injury during the game.

Former Leeds United youngster Tom Elliott sent a tame early shot towards Michael Ingham for the visitors while it took a timely intervention from Scott Kerr inside the area to deny Jon Nolan.

Recalled York forward Chambers was at least enjoying a bright start and soon turned and curled a right-footed shot narrowly wide before Challinor eventually scrambled away danger from inside the home area.

Matty Blair then miscontrolled in the middle and allowed Elliott another attempt that failed to seriously trouble Ingham, who also had few worries from a chipped Sean McConville cross and a Paul Turnbull free-kick that barely had sufficient energy to reach him.

It was all very leisurely in the pleasant afternoon sunshine. There were though hopeful home claims for handball after a Chris Smith shot was charged down before Blair headed a Challinor cross wide following a sweeping Kerr pass just before the break.

The Minstermen forced a couple of early corners upon the restart and Smith headed over from the second delivered by Chambers, who then prodded through to County keeper Ian Ormson after racing away from a loose pass.

Danny Rowe was always appearing the most likely source of threat for the visitors and turned well before drilling wide; and it was the on loan Fleetwood Town forward rewarded a couple of minutes later when twice adjusting his body position and cracking a firm low shot that Ingham couldn’t keep out.

York were seemingly paying for a rather lethargic performance so far, and reacted by introducing Swallow at the expense of Brown in a revised 4-4-2 formation, with Chambers now operating through the middle.

Both Blinkhorn and Reed soon followed as replacements for Jason Walker and Blair – neither of whom offered a great deal on this occasion.

As a result, Ormson in the visitors’ goal was certainly having a much easier time of it than might have been expected, and he instead took it upon himself to waste time at every available opportunity – tactics which eventually brought him a belated booking.

However, York’s failings were very much their own doing and they could have been in further trouble when the always willing Elliott squared nicely across goal but there were no available takers.

The hosts were hardly resembling a side chasing promotion, although they were certainly unfortunate when Blinkhorn headed Chambers’ corner against the near post with nineteen minutes remaining.

That at least succeeded in bringing the crowd to life and a couple of moments later Chambers delivered another inswinging corner from the left for Blinkhorn’s powerful header to be hacked off the line.

Stockport defender Andy Halls advanced and despatched a swerving shot towards Ingham in reply, but it was more a case of whether his side could now survive the remaining ten minutes.

They almost didn’t manage that as McLaughlin’s free-kick was headed against the crossbar by impressive debutant Gibson, before the visitors then allowed a Challinor long throw to bounce inside their area, where a poacher like Reed required no second invitation as he crashed home low in front of the celebrating home fans.

The Minstermen had surely rescued what had been looking an increasingly unlikely point, but that seemed as good as it was going to get despite Kerr sending a late opportunity wide after Chambers offered the assist.

However, deep into five minutes of additional time, York won a corner that was delivered from the right by McLaughlin and hoisted back across at the far post by Reed for Blinkhorn to head into the top corner from a sharp angle.

York City: Ingham, Challinor, Smith, Doig, Gibson, Kerr, Brown (Swallow 60), McLaughlin, Blair (Reed 66), Walker (Blinkhorn 66), Chambers

subs (unused): Parslow, Tonne

Goals: Reed (84), Blinkhorn (90)

Stockport County: Ormson, Halls, Connor (Whitehead 74), O’Donnell (Piergianni 6), Holden, McConville, Nolan, Mainwaring (Cole 56), Turnbull, D. L. Rowe, Elliott

subs (unused): Hirmer, D. M. Rowe

Goals: Rowe (52)

Ref: T. Harrington

Att: 3,370 (651 Stockport)

Video Link: YorkCityTV