Date: 5th March 2018 at 1:54pm
Written by:

Rewind this time focuses on a classic FA Cup second round tie as Reading visit Bootham Crescent in December 2000.

Rewind this time focuses on a classic FA Cup second round tie as Reading visit Bootham Crescent in December 2000.

Battling York City fought back from two-goals down to claim a well-deserved replay against a highly-rated outfit already chasing promotion from the division above.

Despite few chances arriving during the opening half, the hosts were always comfortable and dangerous in attack, until being twice rocked soon after the break.

Leading goalscorer David McNiven had earlier only narrowly failed to gain sufficient connection on an inviting Darren Edmondson cross, while on loan striker Chris Iwelumo went close with a couple of headers.

McNiven then volleyed directly at Royals keeper Phil Whitehead before Alex Mathie flashed a sharp header across goal.

Reading finally stirred ahead of the interval with keeper Alan Fettis suddenly fending away Adrian Viveash’s low drive and also fingertipping over from regular poacher Jamie Cureton.

However, when York centre-back Mark Sertori fouled Martin Butler early in the second-half, a well-worked free-kick had Ricky Newman decisively curling into the corner.

And five minutes later, Matt Robinson’s cross from the left witnessed marksman Butler’s swept finish deflecting in off on loan Bradford City defender Mark Bower.

But gallant City were far from done for – and Mathie soon twisted inside the box and allowed McNiven to confidently side-foot his ninth goal of the campaign.

And they were back level as former Celtic striker Mathie seized possession 35-yards out and lashed an unstoppable left-footed equaliser off the underside of the crossbar – the ball bouncing down on the line and high into the roof of the net.

The Minstermen now sensed a totally unlikely victory against increasingly retreating opposition, and wing-back Edmondson missed a routine tap-in after Whitehead had spilled Graham Potter’s hoisted up-and-under.

But midfield hard-man Kevin Hulme then received a second yellow card for a mistimed challenge on Viveash with eight minutes remaining; thus checking their recovery and meaning it must all go down to a Madejski Stadium replay in eight days time.

York City: Fettis, Edmondson, Sertori, Alcide, Bower, Potter, Hulme, Agnew, McNiven, Iwelumo (Bullock 86), Mathie (Stamp 90)

subs (unused): Howarth, Tarrant, Patterson

Goals: McNiven (56), Mathie (73)

Reading: Whitehead, Robinson, Viveash, Mackie, Newman, Igoe (Gurney 76), Parkinson, Jones, Hodges, Butler, Cureton (Rougier 71)

subs (unused): Howie, Smith, Hunter

Goals: Newman (48), Butler (53)

Ref: P. Walton (Winwick)

Att: 2,926

Video Link: YorkCityTV