Date: 13th December 2016 at 3:33pm
Written by:

Rewinding the clock back to the third league game of the 2002-03 season and Torquay United eventually being destroyed by a certain Jon Parkin.

Rewinding the clock back to the third league game of the 2002-03 season and Torquay United eventually being destroyed by a certain Jon Parkin despite a valiant second-half fightback at Bootham Crescent.

Careless York City almost threw away a game they had already effectively won after racing into a seemingly unassailable three-goal lead early in the second-half.

But their Devon opponents suddenly struck three times in eleven disastrous minutes before chief talisman Parkin finally settled the issue.

The Minstermen had continued to move the ball about the pitch with purpose in general play despite the baking temperatures, although their visitors were regularly a threat and posted early attempts from Kevin Hill, Tony Bedeau and Jason Fowler.

But it was York opening the scoring on fifteen minutes when Parkin knocked down Gary Hobson’s long ball and Peter Duffield’s low volley from the edge of the area slipped underneath debutant goalkeeper Jamie Attwell.

However, the Gulls were still remaining a lively force, until receiving another warning close to the interval with City defender Tom Cowan heading over Scott Jones’ corner at the near post.

The second-half was, though, to begin in simply explosive fashion; Lee Nogan taking aim and looping a 49th minute effort from the edge of the box above Attwell – with the ball striking the crossbar and bouncing down over the line.

And four minutes later burly hit-man Parkin seized upon skipper Chris Brass’ inviting through ball and calmly side-footed past the shell-shocked Attwell to make it 3-0.

Even so the high drama was only just beginning and Sean Hankin immediately curled a 56th minute free-kick over the defensive wall and beyond the outstretched reach of goalkeeper Marlon Beresford.

Within eight minutes York right-back Darren Edmondson’s costly mistake then allowed Alex Russell to set up interval substitute Marcus Richardson for another.

Moments later and the visitors were incredibly back level, with Matthew Hockley expertly volleying in Howard Forinton’s cross towards the far post.

But the home side were to finally prevail courtesy of a superbly worked winner with seventeen minutes remaining, Nogan supplying Brass on the right and his cross being met by an unstoppable far-post header from Parkin.

Still York went forward in search of more goals and the diminutive Duffield soon cleared the target before substitute Alex Mathie made a fine solo break and rolled his finish inches wide of the post.

York City: Beresford, Edmondson, Smith (Okoli 50), Jones, Hobson, Cowan, Brackstone, Brass, Duffield, Parkin (Wilding 84), Nogan (Mathie 90)

subs (unused): Collinson, Fox

Goals: Duffield (15), Nogan (49), Parkin (53, 73)

Torquay United: Attwell, Hockley, Hazell, Woozley, Hankin, Bedeau (Ashington 87), Fowler, Russell, Prince (Richardson 46), Hill, Forinton

subs (unused): Dearden, Benefield, Douglin

Goals: Hankin (56), Richardson (64), Hockley (66)

Ref: M. Ryan (Preston)

Att: 3,203