Date: 3rd March 2018 at 12:46pm
Written by:

It’s back to the freezing snow of November 2010 and a hotly-contested FA Cup second round tie at the Darlington Arena watched by almost 1,500 magnificent travelling supporters.

It’s back to the freezing snow of November 2010 and a hotly-contested FA Cup second round tie at the Darlington Arena watched by almost 1,500 magnificent travelling supporters.

York City continued their endless love affair with the FA Cup as they reached the third round of the competition for a second successive season after a tremendous display of resilience at Darlington.

The Minstermen were roared on throughout by their massed ranks of supporters, who were rewarded as Djoumin Sangare and Ashley Chambers respectively scored at the end of each half to make it four straight victories for the visitors on a difficult playing surface.

The result also extended their clean-sheet record to more than seven hours as skipper Chris Smith and his central defensive colleague David McGurk were both outstanding at the back.

Manager Gary Mills had earlier been forced into a change in his starting line-up after Daniel Parslow was ruled out by injury and replaced by Sangare, with Robbie Weir moving to right-back.

And he was soon required to make another switch as Jonathan Smith limped out of the action during the early stages and Neil Barrett was brought off the bench.

The visitors began to exert a degree of control after a bright start from their opponents and James Meredith forced a low save by Sam Russell on thirteen minutes.

Midfielder Sangare then attempted to chip the goalkeeper from long distance before later skidding a 25-yard attempt narrowly wide.

York skipper Chris Smith made a tremendous block at the opposite end to thwart ex-Scarborough striker Chris Senior and Aaron Brown struck a free-kick wide. York’s Peter Till screwed an effort across goal in reply.

The busy Senior also shot wide of the near post before the visitors went ahead just before the break. Michael Rankine helped on a long clearance by Michael Ingham and Sangare drove a timely first goal of the season into the bottom right-hand corner. And moments later Darlington keeper Russell parried Danny Racchi’s corner behind.

Following on from that the hosts were always likely to force the pace after the break, and Ingham held onto an early Marc Bridge-Wilkinson free-kick before Sangare blocked from Miller.

But the visitors could actually have added to their tally on the hour when Rankine headed over after a nice combination move between Chambers, Meredith and Till.

The Minstermen’s defence continued to stand firm as their opponents increased the pressure, and Ingham was needed to make only a routine save from Keith Gillespie before then gathering Brown’s deflected shot.

Midfielder Racchi drilled a free-kick wide of the left-hand upright in reply before releasing the chasing Till into the home half, until keeper Russell came out to meet the danger.

Darlington’s reply witnessed Senior stabbing wide after being supplied by substitute Chris Moore with just over ten minutes remaining, before Michael Brough also had an effort deflected behind.

York’s Racchi fired over the bar in the final minute after fine work from Rankine, who then fought off Brown in added time and set up Chambers to finally settle the contest in front of delighted supporters.

Darlington: Russell, Miller, Hatch, Hone, Brown, Brough, Gillespie (Moore 72), Verma, Bridge-Wilkinson, Wright (Arnison 55), Senior

subs (unused): Bertram, J. Gray, P. Gray, G. Smith, Main

York City: Ingham, Weir, C. Smith, McGurk, Meredith, Sangare, J. Smith (Barrett 19), Racchi, Chambers, Rankine (Constantine 90), Till (Fyfield 71)

subs (unused): Knight, Carruthers, Young, McDermott

Goals: Sangare (44), Chambers (90)

Ref: P. Tierney

Att: 3,481 (1,447 York)

Video Link: YorkCityTV