Date: 24th January 2018 at 4:14pm
Written by:

Travelling back to October 2011 for York City’s most recent visit to Stockport County, when a couple of regular marksmen laid the foundations of a 2-1 victory.

Travelling back to October 2011 for the most recent visit to Stockport County, when a couple of regular marksmen laid the foundations of a 2-1 victory.

The prolific Jason Walker scored his tenth goal of the season as York City came through a scrappy encounter against Stockport at a sun-baked Edgeley Park.

The Minstermen went ahead seven minutes after the break following an imminently forgettable opening period. Walker did all the ground work with an excellent cross from the left headed in at the far post by Matty Blair.

But the destination of the points continued to remain undecided until four minutes from time when, with those roles reversed, skipper Chris Smith chipped forward and Blair squared for Walker to add a second.

The Hatters had failed to really create much throughout but were rewarded with a consolation in the final minute of added time as Michael Paton headed in substitute Danny Whitehead’s cross.

Manager Gary Mills earlier made a couple of changes with Smith replacing the suspended David McGurk at the back and Blair earning preference ahead of Jamie Reed further forward. And he went on to witness his side enjoying plenty of possession during the opening forty-five minutes without ever doing much with it.

Walker scuffed into the side-netting from a narrow angle after rescuing the ball by the byline with former Carlisle United goalkeeper Matthew Glennon out of position. He also had an effort ruled out for a foul on the keeper after a cross from Blair while James Meredith saw an attempt deflected behind.

Stockport didn’t provide any real threat in reply until ex-Everton striker Nick Chadwick headed over Paton’s cross nine minutes before the break.

Moments later York midfielder Andre Boucaud limped out of the action with a slight groin strain and it allowed a rare appearance for summer arrival Michael Potts.

Winger Ashley Chambers then almost sent in Patrick McLaughlin for the visitors but it was distinctly uninspiring fare until their keeper Michael Ingham was required to turn over a late first-half drive from Paton.

The Hatters began the second period in brighter fashion and midweek two-goal striker Antonio German immediately forced Ingham to save again.

But it was York going ahead as Walker received a through ball from Potts and crossed superbly from the touchline for Blair to head in his second goal of the season.

Stockport should then have been back in it three minutes later with Chadwick heading over from five-yards following a cross by Paton.

The heated conditions were hardly helping the players and German shot wide before York extended their lead with just four minutes remaining as Walker stroked in from Blair’s assist.

However, the visitors were denied a clean-sheet with the final act of the contest witnessing Paton heading Whitehead’s cross into the top corner, although it wasn’t enough to disappoint another large away following on a glorious afternoon.

Stockport County: Glennon, Edwards, Bounab, Piergianni, Holden, Nolan, Miles (Whitehead 60), Paton, Blackburn (Sheridan 66), German, Chadwick (Elliott 66)

subs (unused): Ormson, McCann

Goals: Paton (90)

York City: Ingham, Challinor, Smith, Fyfield, Meredith, Kerr, Boucaud (Potts 39), McLaughlin (Parslow 74), Blair, Walker, Chambers

subs (unused): Moke, Reed, Henderson

Goals: Blair (52), Walker (86)

Ref: Bond

Att: 3,753 (680 York)