Date: 5th September 2017 at 9:53pm
Written by: Vital York City

York City secured a first victory in four games after scoring three times in twelve first-half minutes against high-flying Spennymoor Town at the Brewery Field.

The contest was marked by three penalty awards for handball, the first two converted by Jon Parkin before Louis Almond then claimed his first goal for the club.

But Joseph Tait pulled one back for the hosts from the same twelve-yards after the break, and substitute Mark Anderson dramatically added another inside the closing five minutes.

However, late replacement Kaine Felix suddenly capitalised on a mis-kicked clearance from goalkeeper Daniel Lowson in added time, to finally register his first York goal from around forty-yards.

There were earlier three changes for the visitors with Almond and Jassem Sukar both returning and summer recruit Theo Wharton being awarded a debut. Those replaced Michael Rankine, Connor Smith and the suspended Simon Heslop.

Moors’ recent arrival Jake Orrell instantly volleyed wide a David Foley cross while Parkin’s header was similarly off-target from Sean Newton’s delivery. Tait also sent a header behind after former City midfielder Matty Dixon’s corner.

Skipper Newton’s shot then lacked sufficient force from Josh Law’s ball in and home striker Glen Taylor replied comfortably over.

There were soon unsuccessful penalty claims for the visitors when Almond came under challenge from Chris Chantler inside the area before team-mate Law struck wide.

Debutant Wharton was also wayward from distance and Parkin’s effort from close-in failed to seriously trouble goalkeeper Lowson. Kallum Griffiths’ response from around forty-yards flashed dangerously wide after a corner was only partially cleared.

But the visitors went ahead on the half-hour following a handball decision against Tait from Daniel Parslow’s delivery into the box. Parkin easily wrong-footed Lowson from the penalty spot.

Alex Whittle then called the home keeper into action from distance before Griffiths’ free-kick proved only too high, while Wharton – already on the end of a couple of heavy challenges – received the first caution of the evening following a clash with Dixon.

Home defender Tait next directed a free-kick over before Wharton avoided a possible second yellow card for an ill-advised lunge; until the former was again guilty of handball from Law’s free-kick. He was suitably booked on this occasion and Parkin smashed his second penalty down the middle.

Newton immediately clattered into former team-mate Dixon and escaped punishment, before a resultant long ball forward was suddenly helped on by Parkin for Almond to produce a clinical angled finish from the right – and make it 3-0.

Goalscorer Almond despatched an early second-half attempt over before Dixon’s fierce drive forced a great save from Jon Worsnop – moments after also having a penalty shout turned down.

But the hosts were finally awarded one just after the hour when Parslow was dubiously adjudged to have handled and Tait drove his spot-kick straight down the middle.

Hamza Bencherif then blocked well as the part-timers were definitely sensing the chance of a recovery, before City goalkeeper Worsnop required treatment on an apparent dead-leg.

He still cleared for Amari Morgan-Smith to rapidly call Lowson into action at the other end, while former York striker Bradley Fewster was introduced from the bench with eighteen minutes remaining.

However, it was five-goal Taylor with a decent opportunity blocked by Worsnop following Robbie Ramsahw’s cross, while substitute Anderson then struck against an upright.

But Anderson soon took advantage of Chantler’s cross to further reduce the deficit with around four minutes remaining – and then poked another opportunity wide during a particularly nervy four minutes of added time.

The visitors finally settled the issue, though, when Moors keeper Lowson miscued a clearance and substitute Felix slowly returned the ball into an empty net from distance; although there was still enough time remaining for Worsnop to superbly deny Foley at the opposite end.

Spennymoor Town: Lowson, Griffiths, Tait, Curtis, Chantler, Dixon, Ramshaw, Orrell (Fewster 72), Johnson (Anderson 61), Foley, Taylor

subs (unused): Mason, Porter, Chandler

Goals: Tait (pen 62), Anderson (86)

York City: Worsnop, Parslow, Bencherif, Sukar, Law, Wharton, Newton, Whittle, Almond (Smith 86), Parkin, Morgan-Smith (Felix 82)

subs (unused): Rankine, Muggleton, Haswell

Goals: Parkin (pen 29, pen 38), Almond (40), Felix (90)

Ref: J. Matthews

Att: 1,306

Tuesday’s Results: Boston 2-1 North Ferriby; Brackley 0-0 Tamworth; Chorley 4-1 Darlington; FC United of Manchester 1-3 Blyth; Gainsborough 0-3 Bradford PA; Harrogate 1-2 Salford; Kidderminster 2-2 Curzon Ashton; Leamington 2-3 Alfreton; Nuneaton 0-2 AFC Telford; Spennymoor 2-4 York City; Stockport 6-0 Southport