Date: 25th September 2010 at 6:10pm
Written by: Vital York

Recent signing Jamal Fyfield scored on his debut as York City ended a dreadful few days with their first away victory of the season at Tamworth.

Leading marksman Michael Rankine had earlier given the visitors the lead with his fifth goal of the campaign from the penalty spot before Alex Lawless added a second just ahead of the hour-mark.

Departed manager Martin Foyle’s final signing Fyfield then made it 3-0 with eighteen minutes left as the visitors completed a well-deserved victory despite a late consolation from Scott Barrow.

York’s caretaker boss Andy Porter made four changes from the side heavily defeated at Mansfield Town in midweek. Michael Gash, Greg Young and Danny Racchi were all recalled and debutant Fyfield included at left-back – with James Meredith moving further forward, although the pair swapped roles midway through the first-half. Former Sunderland striker David Dowson was named amongst the substitutes.

Tamworth had already enjoyed a tremendous start to their season and seemed intent on trying their luck from distance at every opportunity during the opening exchanges. However, Danny Thomas, Jake Sheridan (twice), Kyle Perry and Barrow all failed to seriously trouble Michael Ingham, whose opposite number Ross Atkins was called upon to keep out a right-footed drive from Rankine.

And it was Rankine who opened the scoring just before the half-hour after a fine move witnessed the bustling striker seizing upon a slip from Michael Wylde and being brought down inside the area by Richard Tait. Rankine stepped up for the penalty and struck a powerful drive that hit keeper Atkins on its way into the net.

The Minstermen were threatening again a couple of minutes later through Gash before Perry headed into Ingham’s clutches in reply. But York were appearing supremely confident in their neat, one-touch approach work. Rankine and Neil Barrett swiftly combined to almost send in Gash, while Perry soon flashed a left-footed shot inches wide at the opposite end.

More excellent play from the visitors then allowed Racchi to force Atkins into falling to his right, while Jay Smith had a dipping 25-yard attempt parried by Ingham. The Lambs’ top scorer Perry also had a goal disallowed for offside just before the interval.

Tamworth were first to threaten following the restart when Sheridan drilled wide from the edge of the area as their opponents suddenly began conceding a number of free-kicks. Smith also drove over from another set-piece after being dragged back by Lawless, who was cautioned and now faces a suspension, while Ingham then reacted well to parry ahead of the run of Perry.

However, York went further ahead on 58 minutes when superb work from Gash presented the chance for Lawless to expertly turn onto his right foot and smash the ball joyously into the roof of the net.

The visitors immediately broke in search of a third goal and Racchi’s chase forward almost released the attacking Meredith before they were forced into a substitution when the gallant Young was required to leave the action after suffering a head injury.

But York were continuing to look in charge despite Perry scuffing a rare chance wide and they deservedly increased their tally on 72 minutes. Racchi was again involved as he initially sent Rankine down the left and when the ball was eventually returned Fyfield poked home at the second attempt.

Both Fyfield and Barrett were soon threatening further reward for the visitors, while Ingham held onto a Daniel Bradley shot at the opposite end before the hosts gained themselves a consolation with nine minutes remaining when Barrow struck a superb left-footed free-kick into the top corner.

Suddenly the home support were lifted and Alex Rodman directed yet another free-kick over before York regained control with Racchi having a shot charged down and Lawless firing into the side-netting.

A brilliant move from the visitors during the four minutes of added time then found Gash being denied by an excellent save from Atkins as the York supporters began celebrating a well-earned success at the end of a dramatic week.

Tamworth: Atkins, Tait, Marshall (Mitchell 77), Rodman, Wylde, Smith, Thomas, Sheridan (Lake-Gaskin 63), Barrow, Wilkinson (Bradley 67), Perry

subs (unused): Lyttle, MacKenzie

Goals: Barrow (81)

York City: Ingham, Parslow, McGurk, Young (Courtney 69), Fyfield, Lawless, Racchi, Barrett, Meredith, Gash, Rankine (Dowson 85)

subs (unused): Knight, Till, Constantine

Goals: Rankine (pen 27), Lawless (58), Fyfield (72)

Ref: M. Heywood

Att: 1,282 (236 York)

Join The Vital Debate


One Reply to “Tamworth 1 York City 3”

Comments are closed.