Date: 3rd December 2016 at 5:13pm
Written by: Vital York City

York City slumped to the bottom of the National League with an injury-time winner taking Tranmere Rovers to the top of the table.

The Minstermen appeared set for their first clean-sheet in sixteen games, until the unmarked James Norwood headed in Lee Vaughan’s 93rd minute cross.

Manager Gary Mills earlier awarded debuts to new strikers Jon Parkin and Rhys Murphy, while there was a recall in midfield for Adriano Moke following suspension.

However, there was no appearance for another newcomer, Aarran Racine, due to illness, with Aidan Connolly and Robbie McDaid both dropping to the bench and Jake Charles missing out completely.

The visitors began really brightly with their new forward pairing linking particularly well, Parkin laying off for Murphy to have an effort saved midway through the opening half.

Kyle Letheren soon denied a Norwood header following a Jeff Hughes free-kick towards the other end before also having a shot blocked as a result of Moke’s loose pass. Ritchie Sutton then saw a glancing header wide from Hughes’ corner.

Tranmere lost midfielder Lois Maynard to a knock on the half-hour. He was replaced by Jake Kirby, while York newcomer Murphy required treatment after a collision with Steve McNulty.

Matt Fry next directed a header over from Danny Holmes’ free-kick before five minutes of added time were announced at the end of the opening period.

That was still enough time for Shaun Rooney to cover the threat of Ben Tollitt despite home calls for a penalty, with Alex Whittle’s reply blocked at the expense of a corner and Tollitt in turn easily off-target.

York’s Sean Newton curled narrowly wide when swapping passes with Parkin upon the restart before newcomer Murphy, still apparently struggling with a suspected rib injury, was stretchered off and replaced by McDaid.

But it was Parkin soon having a superb lob turned over by back-tracking keeper Scott Davies and ex-Tranmere man Holmes lashing comfortably wide from another Parkin lay-off.

Whittle collected a caution for a strong challenge, and the hosts introduced substitute Andy Cook, whose immediate header was gathered at the second attempt by Letheren before Vaughan struck wide from distance.

Tranmere were now seriously getting on top with Norwood’s effort deflected behind, although Parkin sent a first-time attempt over following a determined break by McDaid.

Later replies from Tollitt [twice], Kirby and Jay Harris failed to seriously threaten while Fry covered well to rescue Whittle’s slack clearance.

However, the inevitable late disaster was still to occur when the unmarked Norwood headed in Vaughan’s stoppage-time cross – to signal yet another defeat despite skipper Simon Heslop sending an immediate response over.

Tranmere Rovers: Davies, Vaughan, McNulty, Sutton, Ihiekwe, Harris (Dawson 90), Hughes, Maynard (Kirby 31), Tollitt, Mangan (Cook 64), Norwood

subs (unused): Turner, Wallace

Goals: Norwood (90)

York City: Letheren, Rooney, Klukowski, Fry, Heslop, Holmes, Moke, Newton, Whittle, Murphy (McDaid 57), Parkin

subs (unused): Connolly, Dixon, Woodland, Rzonca

Ref: W. Barratt

Att: 5,075 (217 York)