Date: 16th September 2014 at 9:50pm
Written by: Vital York

York City still wait for a first home win of the season following a scoreless draw with Luton Town at Bootham Crescent.

Manager Nigel Worthington made a single change from the weekend with Tom Platt replacing Anthony Straker, who reverted to the bench. Luton were missing skipper Steve McNulty.

Both sides made a slow start and Wes Fletcher’s tame effort failed to seriously trouble goalkeeper Mark Tyler on fourteen minutes. Femi Ilesanmi was far more threatening with a decent attempt from distance turned aside by Tyler.

Luton should have gone ahead though as Alex Lacey headed wide of the far post from Jake Howell’s cross before Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu fell under challenge from Keith Lowe inside the area. And the visitors again went close with Mark Cullen breaking clear until being denied by Michael Ingham.

Fletcher’s cross towards the other end wasn’t matched by Platt’s attempted header before good work between Russell Penn and Luke Summerfield ended with Lindon Meikle’s shot being parried over by Tyler.

Home keeper Ingham then spilled a cross cleared by John McCombe and Marvin McCoy managed to hold off the lively Cullen. But it was soon opposite number Tyler blocking with his feet from Platt following Penn’s pass in the final opportunity of the opening half.

The Minstermen were attacking towards their favoured home end upon the restart and Fletcher hoisted over before Lacey’s reply was also too high. Meikle similarly couldn’t find the right direction.

Ruddock Mpanzu then chased away and forced Ingham to block while substitute Luke Rooney produced a low save from the home keeper as the visitors continued to threaten on the break.

York made their first change with Straker taking over from Platt just beyond the hour. But it was Rooney striking wide before Penn’s shot was denied by Tyler and Michael Coulson headed over McCoy’s cross.

The Hatters continued to appear more dangerous and Ingham superbly kept out the busy Rooney and then thwarted Scott Griffiths. Ilesanmi drove forward in response and lifted over before Jake Hyde replaced Meikle.

However, it was Rooney once more with the clever approach work and Ingham coming to the rescue again. Fletcher was withdrawn with less than five minutes remaining and replaced by Ryan Jarvis, who soon won a free-kick – but neither side could find a winner.

York City: Ingham, McCoy, Lowe, McCombe, Ilesanmi, Platt (Straker 63), Penn, Summerfield, Meikle (Hyde 80), Coulson, Fletcher (Jarvis 86)

subs (unused): Winfield, Montrose, Hirst, Mooney

Luton Town: Tyler, Griffiths, Wilkinson, Williams, Lacey, Ruddock Mpanzu, Smith (Stevenson 62), Drury, Howells (Rooney 52), Guttridge, Cullen (Lafayette 82)

subs (unused): Wall, Justham, Whalley, Connolly

Ref: M. Brown (East Yorkshire)

Att: 3,649 (445 Luton)

You can now use your social login to comment on our front page articles using your Facebook, Twitter, Google or LinkedIn accounts!


Join The Vital Debate