Date: 28th August 2017 at 5:05pm
Written by: Vital York City

Midfielder Simon Heslop was sent-off as ten-man York City crashed to a shocking 2-0 defeat to the part-timers of FC United of Manchester at Bootham Crescent.

Substitute Tom Greaves gave the visitors a surprise lead with only eleven minutes remaining after York-born Heslop had already received his marching orders for a second cautionable offence.

And United striker Jason Gilchrist then ensured his colleagues a second consecutive victory with another goal in added time before a very decent 3,411 Bank Holiday attendance.

There were earlier three changes from the weekend draw at Southport with injured pair Adriano Moke (thigh) and Louis Almond (rib), plus striker Michael Rankine, being replaced by Aidan Connolly, Kaine Felix and Jon Parkin.

The recalled Connolly was immediately hacked down within seconds of the kick-off by the cautioned Matty Hughes, while fellow returnee Parkin blasted out of the ground from Felix’s break down the right.

Michael Connor almost got onto a free-kick delivery from Hughes towards the opposite end before Craig Lindfield also glanced a header wide.

Right-back Josh Law next struck a free-kick into the defensive wall after Sean Newton was tripped midway through the opening half; although Lindfield cleared the target again from distance for the visitors, who then wastefully conceded possession and Amari Morgan-Smith was only blocked out by Daniel Wisdom.

However, United went so close to a shock opener when Gilchrist was only denied on the line by the covering Hamza Bencherif following Connor’s pass.

Newton’s whipped cross towards the far post then couldn’t be converted by Parkin, while Connolly tried to hook in Benchrif’s header from Morgan-Smith’s corner before Felix’s late burst was finally met inside the area.

Now attacking towards their favoured home end during the second period, City skipper Newton immediately struck against the far post and Felix’s scuffed follow-up was cleared off the line.

Sam Muggleton instantly replaced Felix and delivered a couple of trademark long throws before both Connor and Connor McCarthy dragged comfortably wide in reply.

The experienced Rankine soon displaced Connolly; but after Law had directed another free-kick straight into the assembled wall, the home side were suddenly reduced to ten-men as Heslop – already cautioned before the break – received a second yellow card for a late challenge.

Nathan Lowe curled a free-kick wide for the visitors and then despatched another speculative attempt over before Parkin was similarly wayward at the far post.

Connor Smith was brought on for Parkin and rapidly allowed fellow replacement Muggleton to help on for Rankine to locate only an upright from close-range.

Home defender Alex Whittle blocked from Connor on the edge of the opposite area, while Morgan-Smith was denied following United keeper Lloyd Allinson attempting to clear.

But the visitors suddenly took the lead with eleven minutes remaining, keeper Jon Worsnop initially denying Gilchrist on the break and substitute Greaves duly tapped in the rebound.

Big striker Rankine in turn headed over from Newton’s cross towards the other end before Muggleton’s shot from the edge of the area was deflected wide.

Goalscorer Greaves then produced further action from Worsnop ahead of four minutes of added time, although the visitors still claimed another through Gilchrist’s deflected finish moments later.

York City: Worsnop, Law, Parslow, Bencherif, Whittle, Connolly (Rankine 56), Heslop, Newton, Felix (Muggleton 50), Parkin (Smith 67), Morgan-Smith

subs (unused): Wharton, Sukar

FC United of Manchester: Allinson, Brady, Fagbola, Hughes, Wisdom, Lindfield (Hooper 46), Kay, Lowe, McCarthy (Greaves 72), Connor, Gilchrist

subs (unused): Logan, Senior, Irwin

Goals: Greaves (79), Gilchrist (90)

Ref: D. McNamara

Att: 3,411 (570 FC United)

Bank Holiday Monday Results: Alfreton 4-0 Curzon Ashton; Blyth 0-2 Harrogate; Boston 1-1 Nuneaton; Brackley 2-0 Kidderminster; Bradford PA 0-0 Chorley; Darlington 1-1 Spennymoor; Gainsborough 2-0 North Ferriby; Leamington 0-3 AFC Telford; Salford 2-1 Southport; Tamworth 3-1 Stockport; York City 0-2 FC United of Manchester