Date: 1st January 2017 at 5:04pm
Written by: Vital York City

York City took their dreadful form of the last twelve months straight into the new year when falling to a dismal 1-0 home defeat to North Ferriby United in front of the biggest attendance of the season at Bootham Crescent.

Former York striker Reece Thompson scored the winner to extract suitable revenge for the single-goal Boxing Day defeat and dump his old club straight back to the bottom of the table.

The hosts were unchanged from that victory with striker Robbie McDaid replacing Daniel Nti on the bench after Yan Klukowski passed a fitness check on his thirtieth birthday.

Goalkeeper Kyle Letheren was quickly off his line early on to deny Thompson while Jon Parkin drove straight at Rory Watson from distance at the other end.

York at least earned themselves a couple of corners but their opponents suddenly broke from the second of them and Danny Emerton curled wide from the edge of the area.

Parkin soon headed a Simon Heslop cross towards the keeper before Ben Middleton was booked for a foul on Simon Lappin and then immediately charged down from Danny Holmes.

Connor Oliver became the second United player cautioned for a challenge on Adriano Moke and Lappin struck the outside of the post with the resultant free-kick from just outside the box.

But North Ferriby went in front before the half-hour when the returning Oliver’s pass split the home defence and Thompson rounded Letheren and claimed his fifth goal of the season ahead of receiving a booking for inciting home fans.

Home striker Rhys Murphy similarly drew the wrath of the referee for a high challenge on Mark Gray before Ryan Fallowfield was comfortably wide for the visitors.

Goalkeeper Watson became the fifth man to receive a yellow card for time-wasting as the opening half drew towards a close, although there was still time for Parkin and Murphy to both shoot wide and Sean Newton to fail to trouble the keeper.

The Minstermen brought on Alex Whittle for Moke while hopefully attacking towards their favoured home end after the break, with recent match-winner Aarran Racine quickly looping a header to the keeper from Lappin’s early corner.

Fine work from substitute Whittle then offered an opportunity for Murphy but once again the finish was badly lacking, while Letheren immediately kept out Gray’s header from an Oliver free-kick in the other direction.

Another change for the hosts witnessed Callum Rzonca taking over from Danny Holmes and the replacement instantly had an attempt deflected behind.

York were really struggling but actually had the ball in the net when keeper Watson came out to shepherd the ball out – and Rzonca crossed for Murphy to head in. But the ball was adjudged to have already gone out of play.

Striker Parkin then couldn’t find sufficient force on his volley to seriously concern Watson before the visitors should really have sealed matters when breaking for Levi Sutton to inexplicably hoist over with only Letheren to beat.

Ferriby midfielder Oliver was also too high and Sam Topliss booked as the final ten minutes of the contest approached, with key marksman Thompson additionally departing the action.

During that time Parkin saw a header wide from Lappin’s delivery before skipper Heslop found himself cautioned, while Parkin was blocked from Rzonca’s cross and then volleyed directly at Watson as the dreadful nightmare continued.

York City: Letheren, Rooney, Klukowski, Racine, Heslop, Holmes (Rzonca 56), Moke (Whittle 46), Lappin, Newton, Parkin, Murphy

subs (unused): Fry, Woodland, McDaid

North Ferriby United: Watson, Middleton,Topliss, Gray, Fallowfield (Bateson 86), Sutton, Oliver, Emerton, Hare, Wootton, Thompson (Kendall 78)

subs (unused): Stamp, Skelton, Fosu-Mensah

Goals: Thompson (28)

Ref: M. Coy

Att: 3,182 (214 North Ferriby)