Date: 18th November 2017 at 5:10pm
Written by: Vital York City

York City produced another well-below-par performance in a 1-1 draw with a decent Kidderminster Harriers side at Bootham Crescent and continue to slip further behind the leaders.

Skipper Ryan Croasdale had earned the visitors a deserved advantage midway through the opening half, but leading goalscorer Jon Parkin’s superb free-kick cancelled it out before the interval.

Manager Martin Gray earlier named an unchanged starting line-up with the returning Tyler Walton replacing Theo Wharton on the bench, while their opponents included former City midfielder Yan Klukowski amongst just four substitutes.

But it was one-time Kiddderminster goalkeeper Adam Bartlett soon fending off from James Pearson and then comfortably collecting Andre Brown’s attempt. In between those, Gary Martin’s effort lacked sufficient force on its way through to Brandon Hall.

There was next a heavy collision between Hamza Bencherif and goalkeeper Hall at Daniel Rowe’s free-kick, although it was Bartlett once more blocking from James McQuilkin. Sam Austin also proved wide after Josh Law surrendered possession.

Harriers had been playing the ball around well and went in front midway through the opening half, with England ‘C’ international Croasdale receiving from Elton Ngwatala on the edge of the area and despatching into the bottom corner.

Home midfielder Aidan Connolly was taken down by the cautioned Pearson, but Bartlett continued to be the only worked keeper as goalscorer Croasdale forced another diving response.

However, Parkin suddenly curled a superb 28-yard free-kick around the defensive wall and into the bottom corner to equalise after Martin was fouled.

Daniel Parslow was then comfortably high with an ambitious strike from long distance in the final act of an opening half in which his colleagues were in truth regularly second-best.

That continued upon the restart and Amari Morgan-Smith soon replaced the diminutive Connolly.

But York were again appearing vulnerable at the back with keeper Bartlett’s clearance directly hitting Pearson and fortunately avoiding the target.

England ‘C’ international David Ferguson was therefore introduced for Martin, while Bartlett claimed Pearson’s 25-yard effort before crucially blocking with his legs from substitute Emmanuel Sonupe.

Kidderminster were still looking far more likely in possession despite a reduced direct threat and former City midfielder Klukowski joined their cause with around fifteen minutes remaining.

Skipper Sean Newton later delivered a tame free-kick reply easily caught by Hall after Morgan-Smith was shoved by Fraser Horsfall – but it was an extremely rare action in another disappointing performance.

York City: Bartlett, Law, Parslow, Bencherif, Whittle, Rowe, Moke, Newton, Connolly (Morgan-Smith 53), Martin (Ferguson 59), Parkin

subs (unused): Simpson, Gray, Walton

Goals: Parkin (37)

Kidderminster Harriers: Hall, Pearson, Austin, Croasdale, Horsfall, O’Connor, Weeks, McQuilkin, Ironside (Klukowski 75), Ngwatala (Sonupe 63), Brown

subs (unused): Wright, Truslove

Goals: Croasdale (21)

Ref: J. Bell

Att: 2,507 (117 Kidderminster)