Date: 1st January 2018 at 4:58pm
Written by: Vital York City

York City kept their first clean-sheet in seventeen games as striker Jon Parkin scored two more goals in a 2-0 victory against North Ferriby United at Bootham Crescent.

Having celebrated his 36th birthday just a couple of days earlier, the veteran marksman netted in each half to raise his overall tally for the season to twenty-three.

Meanwhile, the Villagers were to finish the game with only ten-men after Jake Skelton was sent-off with around twenty minutes remaining when Parkin had the ball in the net again.

Manager Martin Gray earlier named an unchanged side from that which comprehensively triumphed 4-1 at North Ferriby on Boxing Day.

The visitors included former York duo Ben Clappison and Simon Russell, but there were no places for Craig Nelthorpe nor the injured Callum Rzonca.

Fresh from his hat-trick in the first meeting, Parkin had an early free-kick deflected behind after on loan Alex Pattison was brought down on the edge of the area.

The Middlesbrough youngster was soon upended again just outside the box, and Aidan Connolly’s resultant free-kick was similarly diverted away by the defensive wall.

Adriano Moke next lifted over and the busy Pattison called Ross Durrant into action after a forceful break, as York were passing the ball around well but just seeking the final end product.

That almost arrived when Durrant turned away Amari Morgan-Smith’s curling effort and then parried from Connolly moments later.

But the opening goal still came with the prolific Parkin heading in following David Ferguson’s inviting cross from the left byline.

Goalscorer Parkin immediately sent another attempt over from distance and was then close to turning in Connolly’s delivery.

New signing Alex Davidson soon dragged comfortably wide in reply and former City Academy player Carl Stewart was also straight at Adam Bartlett.

Brett Agnew was similarly only speculative before home defender Jonny Burn received the first yellow card for a heavy challenge.

Midfielder Moke’s 35-yard effort was in turn initially mishandled by Durrant, who also dropped a Connolly free-kick in first-half added time.

The Minstermen were attacking towards their favoured home end upon the restart, but soon introduced goalless front-runner James Gray for Morgan-Smith.

Even so it was Connolly forcing Durrant into swift action to win a first corner of the second period after Agnew had already scuffed weakly at Bartlett. The little Scot was next high and wide from Ferguson’s assist, that ahead of Daniel Rowe displacing on loan midfielder Sean McAllister.

Ferriby’s ranks were suddenly reduced, though, when Bartlett’s long clearance was helped on and Parkin steered the ball into the net; only for the referee to bring back the play and dismiss Skelton for fouling the big striker. In truth he could have already previously been sent-off for a bad challenge within a minute of the kick-off. Pattison’s subsequent free-kick only struck the assembled wall.

But it was the hosts with an escape of their own as substitute Jordan Slew curled onto the outside of an upright, while Connolly then exchanged passes with Parkin and wastefully failed to beat Durrant.

However, York’s second goal duly arrived with thirteen minutes remaining when Durrant couldn’t claim Pattison’s cross under challenge and Parkin side-footed into the roof of the net.

The hosts made their final change with Connor Smith replacing Connolly, although it was Parkin threatening another hat-trick as Durrant gathered from distance before Moke struck directly towards the keeper in added time.

York City: Bartlett, Law, Burn, Bencherif, Ferguson, Moke, McAllister (Rowe 64), Pattison, Connolly (Smith 82), Morgan-Smith (Gray 55), Parkin

subs (unused): Parslow, Simpson

Goals: Parkin (31, 77)

North Ferriby United: Durrant, Cooke, Walters, Forrester (Lofts 55), Clappison, Skelton, Bolder, Russell, Stewart, Agnew (Slew 64), Davidson (Kyei 60)

subs (unused): Johnson, Exall

Ref: D. Watson

Att: 2,525 (84 North Ferriby)