Match Reports

York City 2 Spennymoor Town 2

Image for York City 2 Spennymoor Town 2

Both sides were denied a sixth consecutive victory as York City twice led against promotion rivals Spennymoor Town at Bootham Crescent.

On loan defender Jonny Burn’s third goal in nine games earned them a half-time lead that was cancelled out by Ryan Hall soon after the restart.

But Aidan Connolly restored the home advantage with seventeen minutes remaining, although that was swiftly matched by Andrew Johnson as the honours were eventually shared.

Manager Martin Gray earlier made a single-change from the midweek victory at AFC Telford United, with latest signing Connor Brown starting at right-back and Josh Law reverting to the bench. That meant Daniel Rowe missed out completely.

Former City duo Matty Dixon and Bradley Fewster were both named amongst the unchanged visitors’ substitutes.

There was a suitably enthusiastic minute’s applause before the game for former England striker Cyrille Regis, who died last weekend aged 59.

Defender Hamza Bencherif was almost on the end of a dangerous early Simon Heslop cross, although York were soon ahead as his centre-back partner Burn stabbed in from a defensive header at Heslop’s corner. That followed Raul Correia chasing down goalkeeper Jordan Porter.

Mark Anderson’s angled reply was too high before goalscorer Burn crucially cleared away from the line. Adriano Moke needed attention following a challenge but then had an effort deflected wide after winning back possession and driving forward.

Former Gateshead midfielder Rob Ramshaw struck a dangerous cross-shot wide on the half-hour, while City’s on loan striker Correria suddenly broke from Connolly’s through ball and rounded the keeper – but skipper Chris Mason recovered to decisively block.

Home midfielder Heslop received the first caution for a sliding challenge, before Glen Taylor headed tamely at Adam Bartlett from a cross by David Foley, who almost instantly limped out of the action.

David Ferguson also picked up a yellow card in first-half added time, while Daniel Parslow replaced Heslop for the start of a second period in which the hosts were attacking towards their favoured David Longhurst Stand.

Skipper Sean Newton immediately struck at Porter after Moke’s break before Burn crucially blocked from Hall at the other end. Fellow defender Bencherif soon required attention for a knock.

However, Hall promptly levelled with a deflected strike that totally wrong-footed Bartlett, and moments later Kallum Griffiths went close to another as his effort cleared the crossbar.

Goalscorer Hall had a further attempt diverted behind as the visitors were now appearing the more likely side – and defender Joe Tait also headed wide at a corner.

Leading scorer Jon Parkin had a reply blocked after decent work from Moke, while home debutant Brown rapidly became the third York player cautioned. James Curtis then sliced Newton’s cross dangerously towards his own goal at the expense of another corner.

But the Minstermen went back in front when more excellent work by Moke witnessed his cross turned in by Connolly, although that was swiftly cancelled out when Johnson followed-up after the unchecked Taylor was initially denied on the line at a corner.

The visitors saw another header by Taylor deflected wide while Burn was booked when conceding a dangerous free-kick: Anderson’s effort being superbly parried aside by Bartlett, who also blocked from Shane Henry on the break.

York City: Bartlett, Brown, Burn, Bencherif (Law 81), Ferguson, Moke, Heslop (Parslow 46), Newton, Connolly, Correia (Morgan-Smith 63), Parkin

subs (unused): Simpson, Gray

Goals: Burn (11), Connolly (73)

Spennymoor Town: Porter, Griffiths, Tait, Curtis, Mason, Henry, Ramshaw, Hall, Anderson, Foley (Johnson 44), Taylor

subs (unused): Dixon, Bland, Chantler, Fewster

Goals: Hall (53), Johnson (77)

Ref: M. Woods

Att: 2,976 (448 Spennymoor)

Share this article