Date: 18th March 2018 at 6:44pm
Written by:

Daniel Pedras scored twice as York City Futsal defeated Sheffield Futsal 3-1 in their FA Futsal Cup tie at the YorkSport Arena.

England international Robbie Bettson was similarly on target while confirming a visit from National Super League rivals FC Salisbury United in the next round.

The visitors were clearly intent on damage limitation as they were largely restricted to playing on the counter; although in fairness they were effective at that and struck the woodwork three times during the opening half.

Favourites York were still ahead inside a couple of minutes when Pedras turned sharply despite close attention and claimed his tenth goal of the campaign.

He then supplied a return pass for Robbie Bettson – who was wearing the captain’s armband on this occasion – to swiftly double that early advantage.

Photo: Ian Parker

England international Robbie Bettson skippered the home side – and scored

But Sheffield were themselves to suddenly register when breaking after Pedras was caught in possession and slotting past his fellow countryman Jorge Sagradas.

However, the visitors were mainly intent on holding their defensive line as Fabinho Almedia, Pedras and Jamie Bettson (twice) each went close to increasing the lead.

Portuguese keeper Sagradas reacted well at his near post when they did finally come out, although Almeida then struck the frame of the opposite goal before soon lifting a further effort over.

Robbie Bettson also located an upright following three quick corners, while Tom Blackburn was twice over the target and Oliver Toseland only denied by busy keeper Jordan Wildey.

Both Jamie Bettson and Pedras (twice) were similarly thwarted upon the restart; and the latter also soon directed another shot onto the post before Almeida and Robbie Bettson each proved wide of the mark.

It was simply a case of whether York could find their way past their rigid opponents for a third time. Pedras was certainly trying his best while calling keeper Wildey into action on a further three occasions – and also clearing the crossbar.

Almeida did likewise before new England Under-19 international Michael Bulmer was twice frustrated by the valiant keeper; until playing a succession of short-range passes with Almeida and eventually allowing Pedras to claim a decisive third goal.

City’s now eleven-goal leading marksman was later only denied a hat-trick by the crossbar as the visitors were still refusing to depart their final third of the court despite time rapidly running out.

However, it still required Wildey once more blocking from Pedras before Adam Richmond sent the rebound over; that ahead of the former jinking through a doubtless tiring rearguard and clipping wide of the far post.