Date: 31st October 2017 at 2:38pm
Written by:

Striker Amari Morgan-Smith was on target but York City Reserves went down to a 3-1 defeat to Port Vale in their opening game of the season at Bootham Crescent.

The Minstermen included a number of players with first-team experience: skipper Jassem Sukar, Morgan-Smith, Theo Wharton and goalkeeper Jon Worsnop lining-up alongside recent newcomers David Ferguson, Daniel Rowe and James Gray. Meanwhile, a couple of unnamed trialists at left-back and right-wing were joined by youth-teamers Josh Rogerson and Aaron Haswell.

And it was on loan Torquay United striker Gray with an early shot saved by Nottingham Forest’s Dimitar Evtimov, who also gathered Morgan-Smith’s free-kick before Trialist B only narrowly missed the far post.

However, Anton Forrester called keeper Worsnop into action at the opposite end, and also had a header cleared off the line by Trialist A from the resultant corner. Forrester was then too high from close-in midway through the opening half.

But Jack Stobbs soon calmly side-footed in the opening goal for the visitors from the edge of the area following Anthony de Freitas’ inviting cross from the left.

Mike Calveley next headed a Stobbs corner wide; although it was York suddenly equalising when Morgan-Smith stabbed in at the back post after a defensive scramble produced a couple of mishit attempts.

Amari Bell’s reply was in turn comfortably over from distance, with both Wharton and goalscorer Morgan-Smith similarly wayward at the other end.

City’s Trialist B also saw a couple of efforts charged down, and former Northern Ireland Under-21 international Gray then headed wide at a corner.

Worsnop was immediately in action upon the restart when blocking Forrester’s header with his legs after Dan Turner delivered from the left.

Loanee Gray saw his response deflected behind and Worsnop advanced from his line to cover the threat of Turner, before again blocking from the same player after Forrester flicked on a long ball.

Home striker Gray once more went close with a far post header when Ferguson linked with Trialist A – but Charlie Walford cleared at the expense of a corner. Turner’s reply on the hour was, though, no significant threat to Worsnop, who next gathered Defreitas’ deflected drive.

York made a trio of substitutions just beyond the hour – and one of them, youth-team striker Ryan Edmondson, headed over from a corner before Ferguson curled a 20-yard free-kick wide.

But it was the visitors then moving in front with fifteen minutes remaining as Turner beat Worsnop to the ball and bravely headed in Stobbs’ delivery from the left.

Vale’s Forrester soon met an inswinging Stobbs corner and nodded a further opportunity wide from six-yards before having another effort comfortably taken by Worsnop.

However, Turner still added his second goal of the afternoon courtesy of a glancing header from yet another cross from on loan Sheffield Wednesday winger Stobbs as the contest entered its final ten minutes.

York City: Worsnop, Rowe (Watson 62), Trialist A, Sukar, Rogerson, Wharton, Ferguson, Haswell, Gray (McNaughton 62), Morgan-Smith (Edmondson 62), Trialist B

subs (unused): Simpson, Lawrence

Goals: Morgan-Smith (34)

Port Vale: Evitmov, Yates, Walford, Calveley, Reeves (Wilson 46), Dennis, Stobbs, Middleton, Forrester (Johnson 80), Turner, Defreitas

subs (unused): Blight, Beeston, Wakefield

Goals: Stobbs (23), Turner (75, 80)