Date: 13th February 2018 at 2:48pm
Written by:

York City’s reserves claimed their first league victory of the season when defeating Hartlepool United 5-2 at Bootham Crescent.

Their goals – four of which arrived during an eighteen-minute second-half spell – included a hat-trick from one of two unnamed trialists, while former Pools winger Connor Smith was similarly on target alongside an own-goal.

The home side were though required to fight back having already conceded twice to a young visiting outfit early on.

New loan recruit Marcus Williams was named at left-back and as part of a strong line-up also featuring fellow newcomer Vinny Steels on the bench.

However, it was the visitors taking immediate control with a couple of very early goals leaving their opponents already on the back foot.

First Lewis Orrell found the net from the edge of the area on six minutes before Jon Weirs swiftly added another with a low shot.

Trialist A had already struck towards the goalkeeper at the other end, while Smith was also denied by Ryan Catterick on more than one occasion.

And York went close again as Trialist A headed onto the crossbar following a Josh Law corner before Louis Almond hoisted over from Smith’s delivery.

But they were to reduce the deficit just beyond the half-hour when former Hartlepool winger Smith headed in a cross from Trialist A.

The same trialist brought the Hartlepool keeper into early second-half action at his near post, before also setting up his fellow hopeful to force Catterick to block with his legs.

Almond’s cross then struck an upright as the hosts continued to attack, while another recent returnee, Clovis Kamdjo, headed forcibly at the keeper.

However, York equalised seven minutes into the second-half as Trialist A headed in Law’s cross.

And eight minutes later the same trialist surged onto a through ball and calmly finished to register his second of the afternoon.

That lead was rapidly extended after Almond’s shot was deflected into the net, before Trialist A suitably completed his hat-trick when slotting home from just inside the area.

He was immediately replaced by sixteen-year-old newcomer Steels following his arrival from Darlington.

The remainder of the action witnessed home keeper Luke Simpson blocking from both Josh Hawkes and Ryan Robinson, while Daniel Parslow also cleared off the line.

At the other end, James Gray was twice too high and Almond – who notably completed a full ninety minutes – forced yet another save from Catterick before Smith drove wide.

York City: Simpson, Law, Williams, Parslow, Kamdjo (Watson 71), Wharton (Haswell 86), Smith, Gray, Trialist A (Steels 71), Trialist B (Thompson 86), Almond

subs (unused): Wilton

Goals: Smith (33), Trialist A (52, 60, 69), OG (64)

Hartlepool United: Catterick, Boyle, Owen, Bayne, Holliday, Pritchard, Hawkes, Orrell, Robinson, Weirs, Travers (Short 85)

subs (unused): Lawrence

Goals: Orrell (6), Weirs (11)