Match Reports

Kidderminster Harriers 2 York City 1

Image for Kidderminster Harriers 2 York City 1

Two second-half goals from Dan Bradley sent York City to a potentially costly 2-1 defeat at promotion rivals Kidderminster Harriers.

The striker took advantage of York skipper Sean Newton badly surrendering possession close to the hour-mark before then settling the contest on the break with eighteen minutes remaining.

Newton at least grabbed a consolation in added time, but it was never going to alter the final outcome as the hosts moved to within a point of their fourth-placed opponents.

The visitors earlier made a couple of changes with leading scorer Jon Parkin and Connor Brown replacing Alex Kempster and Adriano Moke.

Having completed a three-match suspension at the weekend, Parkin immediately volleyed an early Aidan Connolly corner out of the stadium. Alex Pattison then surged inside the area but could only find the side-netting before Emmanuel Sonupe dragged wide at the opposite end.

Louis Almond next had an attempt blocked by returning goalkeeper Brandon Hall at the expense of a corner – and City instantly earned another to make a total of four inside the opening quarter-hour.

However, Adam Bartlett soon fingertipped Declan Weeks’ long-distance effort onto his post and Newton cleared to safety. Bradley also screwed wide from the edge of the area.

David Ferguson had a shot blocked at the opposite end, and Bradley replied by once again calling ex-Harriers keeper Bartlett into action as an incredibly open game continued. James McQuilkin was then comfortably missing.

York threatened next with Almond’s cross almost allowing Parkin to make the breakthrough, until an important clearance conceded the first of a couple more corners. Bradley’s response, once more from distance, was only speculatively high.

Back came the visitors and the lively Almond dragged wide of the far post before Ironside headed behind for the hosts on the angle. Parkin was soon tame towards keeper Hall, while Sonupe proved narrowly over from around twenty-five-yards. Lee Vaughan should then have done better when slicing wide of the near post.

Kidderminster actually had the ball in the net close to the break when Bradley’s initial effort was helped in – but it was disallowed for offside. Bartlett next denied McQuilkin, and Weeks was in turn too high as a very attacking opening half finally closed.

The visitors made a change at the interval with Moke replacing Heslop – and Newton advancing into midfield. But it was Ryan Croasdale weakly towards Bartlett ahead of Connor Smith rapidly taking over from Almond.

Harriers were suddenly ahead, though, with Bradley heading in Vaughan’s cross at the far post following an initially lost ball by Newton, who replied wide from distance. Connolly was replaced by Kempster in the visitors’ final change as the hour-mark approached.

However, York missed a glorious opportunity when keeper Hall cleared badly and Newton released veteran marksman Parkin to wastefully shoot wide.

But despite having their best spell of the game, the visitors were suddenly caught on the break as Bradley side-footed an easy second goal after Sonupe’s 72nd minute cross was laid off by Weeks.

The busy Weeks then spectacularly tried to convert from halfway before Newton was later superbly denied by Hall from the edge of the opposite area.

York’s captain did impressively find the net from similar range in added time but it was far too late to prompt a dramatic recovery.

Kidderminster Harriers: Hall, Vaughan, Taylor, Croasdale, Horsfall, Pearson, Weeks, McQuilkin, Ironside (Waring 90), Bradley, Sonupe (Brown 81)

subs (unused): Austin, Smith, Flatt

Goals: Bradley (57, 72)

York City: Bartlett, Parslow, Bencherif, Newton, Brown, Heslop (Moke 46), Pattison, Ferguson, Connolly (Kempster 63), Parkin, Almond (Smith 51)

subs (unused): Burn, Simpson

Goals: Newton (90)

Ref: S. Simpson

Att: 1,244 (91 York)

Share this article