Date: 1st January 2018 at 12:53pm
Written by:

Ten years ago today produced one of the most stunning comebacks ever witnessed in the opening game of 2008.

Ten years ago today produced one of the most stunning comebacks ever witnessed in the opening game of 2008.

Substitute Richard Brodie was York City’s hero after scoring twice in added time to complete a sensational 4-3 victory at Droylsden.

The Minstermen were sporting their second-choice ‘Brazilian’ colours and actually trailed by two goals at the interval following strikes from Jody Banim and Terry Fearns.

However, Brodie, who had replaced Onome Sodje early in the second-half, was then twice involved as Emmanuel Panther and Craig Farrell replied, the latter with only three minutes remaining.

But it suddenly appeared a totally lost cause again when Banim’s deflected effort completely deceived goalkeeper Tom Evans with only sixty seconds outstanding on the clock.

Back came the gallant visitors, though, with Brodie twice forcing home from close-range, to the absolute delight of their travelling legion of 531 supporters.

York had earlier seen a hat-trick of decent penalty shouts ignored while also rattling the crossbar on three separate occasions.

For their part Droylsden managed only a couple of direct efforts on target during the opening forty-five minutes – but scored from both of them.

First Banim half-volleyed into the bottom corner midway through the half, and then fellow seasoned marksman Fearns robbed centre-back Darren Kelly and calmly slotted in a second.

In between those, Stuart Elliott and Martyn Woolford both called goalkeeper Paul Phillips into action from distance, while wing-back Anthony Lloyd also saw an eight-yard attempt smothered.

Manager Colin Walker was defending an unbeaten leadership record since temporarily replacing Billy McEwan in November and then being fully upgraded into the role the following month.

He therefore introduced Brodie and Nicky Wroe from the bench early in the second period, and they were soon joined by diminutive striker Paul Brayson.

Winger Woolford rapidly went on to crash a shot against the woodwork, while Fearns almost took advantage of Banim’s free-kick delivered towards the other end.

But York finally reduced the deficit with twenty minutes remaining; Ben Purkiss, now operating on the left, crossing for Panther to scramble in from five-yards after a favourable deflection off team-mate Brayson.

Tigerish midfielder Panther next struck the crossbar with an angled drive while keeper Phillips similarly tipped a David McGurk header from Wroe’s corner onto the woodwork. He also courageously saved at the feet of Brodie.

Nevertheless with just three minutes remaining City were back level; Purkiss’ deep cross from the opposite right flank being met by makeshift striker McGurk’s header and Brodie drilling low across goal for Farrell to tap in at the far post.

However, Evans was soon defying Ashley Burbeary at his near upright, before total disaster as Banim’s speculative 30-yard strike deflected off Kelly and into the top corner.

Despite the shock of that battling York still weren’t done for and Brodie dramatically equalised in the second-minute of stoppage-time after Phillips had initially kept out Brayson.

Phillips was also equal to Wroe’s edge of the area drive moments later, although once more Brodie was in like a flash for a sensational winner scored directly in front of City’s jubilant supporters.

Droylsden: Phillips, Cryan, Halford, Murray, Dugdale, Denham (Warner 54), McGuire, Burbeary, Tandy (Murphy 46), Banim, Fearns (Salmon 77).

subs (unused): Morris, Talbot

Goals: Banim (28, 89), Fearns (40)

York City: Evans, Parslow, McGurk, Kelly, Purkiss, Elliott (Brayson 63), Panther, Lloyd (Wroe 53), Woolford, Sodje (Brodie 51), Farrell

subs (unused): Mimms, Craddock

Goals: Panther (70), Farrell (87), Brodie (90, 90)

Ref: J. Waugh (Sheffield)

Att: 1,051 (531 York)