Date: 12th September 2017 at 9:56pm
Written by: Vital York City

York City dropped more vital home points with a 1-1 draw against lowly Gainsborough Trinity at Bootham Crescent.

The Minstermen were frustrated by a packed defence and endless time-wasting as the visitors collected an unlikely point following consecutive defeats.

Gainsborough actually took a shock lead when Jonathan Wafula headed in Tom Davie’s 68th minute cross; until right-back Josh Law equalised with his first goal for the club eight minutes later.

Experienced strikers Jon Parkin and Michael Rankine then both missed late chances to complete the recovery.

The hosts were unchanged from the weekend and Parkin headed an early Sean Newton cross straight at goalkeeper Henrich Ravas after Simon Heslop required attention following a clash of heads.

Currently seeking his two-hundredth career goal, Parkin also had a header from Amari Morgan-Smith’s corner cleared off the line by Josh Lacey.

But having scrambled away a corner at their end of the pitch, the visitors suddenly threatened when Jon Worsnop parried Bradley Wells’ 25-yard free-kick after being fouled by Hamza Bencherif.

Louis Almond replied directly at Ravas from distance – and Parkin’s effort was particularly tame as the home side continued to struggle to break down a deeply congested rearguard.

Trinity striker Wells then headed wide Lacey’s delivery on the half-hour, while Daniel Parslow’s header proved wayward following a cross from Law, whose subsequent attempt drifted harmlessly through to the keeper.

With the interval approaching, Almond curled straight at Ravas and Parkin drove over on the turn before Worsnop importantly blocked with his legs from Davie in added time.

Attacking towards the home end in the second period, Parkin soon went down inside the area under the challenge of Cern Miller following a long throw by Newton.

Heavy rain at the interval had certainly livened up the playing surface, and Parkin narrowly headed over Almond’s cross before later glancing Law’s curled attempt too high.

Wells volleyed over from a free-kick at the opposite end while Parkin’s lob from the edge of the area was narrowly clear of the target.

But disaster struck the hosts when Wafula headed in Davie’s cross with just over twenty minutes remaining.

Manager Gary Mills introduced Rankine for Theo Wharton, but it was Wafula dragging another effort wide before Parkin’s pass finally sent in Law to drive an equaliser inside the near post.

Parkin also had a 35-yard free-kick deflect off the defensive wall before Sam Muggleton replaced Alex Whittle with under ten minutes remaining.

He immediately delivered a trio of long throws as the hosts chased a late winner, while the referee finally issued a yellow card to Craig King for persistent time-wasting – but much, much to late.

The Minstermen then missed an absolutely glorious chance when Parkin side-footed straight at Ravas from Almond’s whipped cross.

That was just before six minutes of added time were signalled – and York spurned another late opportunity with substitute Rankine heading wide Parkin’s cross.

York City: Worsnop, Law, Parslow, Bencherif, Whittle (Muggleton 82), Heslop, Wharton (Rankine 73), Newton, Almond, Parkin, Morgan-Smith

subs (unused): Felix, Smith, Sukar

Goals: Law (76)

Gainsborough Trinity: Ravas, Lacey, Davie, Evans, Stainfield, Miller, Wafula, Clarke, Wells (Simmons 77), Worsfold (Richards 90), King

subs (unused): Collins, Gordon, Walton

Goals: Wafula (68)

Ref: D. Watson

Att: 2,196 (59 Gainsborough)

Monday’s Results: Bradford PA 2-1 Boston; Curzon Ashton 1-1 Leamington

Tuesday’s Results: AFC Telford 3-2 Stockport; Alfreton 1-1 Brackley; Blyth 2-0 Chorley; North Ferriby 0-6 Spennymoor; Salford 3-0 Nuneaton; Southport 1-4 Harrogate; Tamworth 2-1 Kidderminster; York City 1-1 Gainsborough

League Table (Top):

1. Harrogate 11 – 26 (+21)
2. Salford 11 – 26 (+12)
3. Brackley 11 – 22 (+11)
4. Blyth 11 – 21 (+8)
5. Tamworth 11 – 20 (+4)
6. Spennymoor 11 – 18 (+8)
7. YORK CITY 11 – 18 (+7)